Get involved in the Network of Wellbeing SeriesPosted by in Guest Blogs
Sharing our world
Guest Blog by Florence Scialom, Network of Wellbeing
Do these questions bring to mind experiences of sharing, of connections you’ve nurtured, or of things you are proud to have made? If so then the Network of Wellbeing (NOW) is keen to hear from you!
NOW is currently running an online photo competition as part of a series of activities titled ‘Sharing Our World’. We are inviting people to submit photos of their experiences sharing, connecting and making, for a chance to win some great prizes.
Sharing Our World is timed around two internationally significant upcoming events: Buy Nothing Day / Black Friday on Friday 27th November and the COP21 climate negotiations due to run in Paris from 30th November until 11th December. The intention of the series is to generate reflections and discussions on the links between consumerism, wellbeing and the environment, and also to encourage wider participation in wellbeing-related activities. In addition to the photo series, we’ll also be publishing a series of online videos and blogs, and we’ll be running a foraging walk in Totnes, Devon.
Sharing positive experiences
At NOW we believe that your own personal wellbeing levels are not determined only by what you have. Of course meeting your basic material needs is vital, but income has been shown to have a diminishing impact on overall happiness and wellbeing levels. What can have more impact is what you choose to spend your time doing, the people you’re connected with, and how you are ‘being’ in the world.
In NOW’s Sharing our World photo competition we’d like to invite you to submit photos based broadly on the theme of positive enriching experiences – such as sharing, connecting and making – which can help you to appreciate our shared world.
How to get involved
To enter the competition, submit a photo (which you have taken) and caption of your positive experiences – such as sharing, connecting and/or making:
- Via Twitter, tag @NetwrkWellbeing and include our hashtag #sharingourworld
- Via Facebook, tag @Network Of Wellbeing – NOW and include our hashtag #sharingourworld
- Via Instagram, tag @networkofwellbeing and include our hashtag #sharingourworld
- Via email, send your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for entries is Thursday 26th November at 12pm. We will review all entries and announce a winner on Buy Nothing Day/ Black Friday on Friday 27th November.
Prizes on offer
We tried to decide on the prizes we offer based on the experiences they will provide, which is why we’ve focused on reading material which can offer the positive experience of learning, or alternatively a contribution towards a wellbeing-enhancing experience of your choice. In addition, all entries will be shared on NOW’s social media channels (with a credit back to the person who the photo is from).
Prizes will include:
- A year’s subscription to Resurgence and the Ecologist magazine
- A free copy of James Wallman’s book Stuffocation
- A free copy of George Marshall’s book, Don’t Even Think about It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change
- £25 towards an experience of choice that will support your wellbeing
- Plus all winning entries will be featured on the NOW blog
Here’s some questions to inspire you to think about the types of photos you could share:
- Sharing: What have you shared recently? What could you share with others? What sharing projects have you been involved in? How does sharing play a role in your life?
- Connecting: What do you enjoy about spending time with others; family, friends and / or those in your community. Or have you recently enjoyed spending time in nature, appreciating the natural beauty and the planet that sustains our lives?
- Making: Show us what you have made! Have you ever worked on any upcycling projects? Perhaps showing a before and after photo, or just the beautiful piece you are proud to have created!
Hopefully these ideas get you inspired, though we’re also very open to any other ideas you have related to the theme of positive experiences and Sharing Our World. You can also check out photos submitted so far here.
We’d love to hear from you!
We’d love to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback on the themes raised through our Sharing Our World series. As well as entering our photo competition, you could also comment on our blog posts and social media channels, and get in touch (via the channels listed above) to share your suggestions, questions or ideas!
(Images copyright Steph Rooney)